SPRING 2021 OUTLOOK
We have reduced the number of rounds required for most classes, and will continue to offer many no-live-fire defensive skills courses. Taking classes with .22 caliber guns will be allowed, and dry firing is always a good way to maintain and develop skills. February gave us a 100 year ice and snow storm, complete with lengthy power and water outages. March brings us the 2021 Legislative Session, with over 100 bills filed relating to firearms rights (pro and anti). Lt. Governor Dan Patrick’s list of priorities is here. Note that Constitutional (permit less) carry is NOT one of his priorities, although there are several other firearms issues on his list.
FREE PREPAREDNESS SEMINAR (PAUL MARTIN)
Paul Martin is offering a free preparedness seminar Saturday March 20 in Austin. The seminar will be recorded and will be available after the event for a small fee on our Vimeo channel. We have over 14 hours of content on the Vimeo channel: lectures on Prepping for Beginners, Building Your Medical Kits (from Caleb Causey), Use of Force, Law Enforcement Guidance for Armed Citizens (from Lee Weems) and many more.
UPCOMING CLASSES AT THE A-ZONE
Here are the classes we have scheduled with space available through end of June. Don’t see the class you want here? Let us know. Many classes can be taught as weekday private lessons, or we can add it to the schedule if there’s enough interest.
Courses marked with *** are core classes that count toward the Defensive Pistol Skills Program challenge coin. Any course taught by in-house staff can count as elective.
- March 20-21, Street Encounter Skills and Tactics (John Murphy)
- March 27, 9-11 Stop the Bleed (No Live Fire – no ammo)
- March 28, 1-3, Stop the Bleed (No Live Fire – no ammo)
- ***April 3, 9-12, Personal Tactics Skills (No Live Fire – no ammo)
- ***April 3, 1-5, Defensive Pistol Skills 1 (100 rounds)
- ***April 10, 9-3, Defensive Pistol Skills 3 (200 rounds)
- April 11, 5p-8p, Home Defense Tactics (no ammo – held in private home near Domain in Austin)
- ***April 17, 9-1, Beyond Basics Pistol (100 rounds)
- April 17, 2-4, Skill Builder Handgun (100 rounds)
- April 21, Historical Handgun (Givens/Rehn)
- April 22, Defensive Revolver (Givens)
- April 23-25 Rangemaster Instructor Development (Givens)
- April 26 Defensive Shotgun (Givens)
- ***May 1 (morning), LTC Completion/Basic Pistol 2
- ***May 1 (afternoon), DPS-1 Small Gun
- May 13 (Thursday night), USPSA match
- May 15 (morning), Advanced Training 4
- May 15 (afternoon), Competition Pistol 1
- May 16, Beyond Basics Rifle (AR-15)
- May 22, AT-7 Scenarios
- May 23, Red Dot Pistol Essentials
- May 27, (Thursday night), USPSA match
- June 10 (Thursday night), USPSA match
- ***June 12 (morning), LTC Completion/Basic Pistol 2
- ***June 12 (afternoon), Defensive Pistol Skills 1
- June 19, Team Tactics
- June 24 (Thursday night), USPSA match
CLASSES WITH DOUG GREIG (CONROE AREA)
- March 27 Intro to Red Dot Handgun – Thunder Gun Range
- March 27 “Women Only” Handgun – Thunder Gun Range
- April 10, 10-2 Basic Handgun – Thunder Gun Range
- April 10, 2:30-6:30 Basic Rifle – Thunder Gun Range
- April 17, 10-2, Intermediate Handgun – Thunder Gun Range
- April 17, 2:30-6:30, Intermediate Rifle – Thunder Gun Range
- April 24, One Handed Defensive Handgun – Thunder Gun Range
- May 1, 10-2, Basic Handgun – Thunder Gun Range
- May 1, 2:30-6:30, Basic Rifle – Thunder Gun Range
JOHN MURPHY CLASS IN MARCH
We are bringing national trainer John Murphy to KR Training in March, for his two day Street Encounters Skills and Tactics course. He has lowered the round count for this course to 250 rounds, and he has limited ammo available to sell to students. Slots are still open. John is an excellent instructor with his own facility in Culpepper Virginia, with decades of experience. It’s a great choice for those with a carry permit wanting their first post-LTC course, and it’s a great complement/refresher for the material we teach in our Defensive Pistol Skills course program.
HOME DEFENSE TACTICS IN AUSTIN SUNDAY APRIL 11
We will be offering a special session of the Home Defense Tactics course Sunday evening, April 11, from 5-8p at a student home near The Domain in Austin. In this class you learn how to do a security assessment of your own home, practice armed movement in structures (aka “houseclearing”) using red guns, and practice working in a dim/low light environment inside an actual home. This class is limited to 6 students plus the host family.
We can bring the Home Defense Tactics course to your home on request.
NEW E-BOOK FROM JOHN DAUB
John Daub has compiled his favorite drills into a PDF e-book that we are offering for free download.
REFRESHER SLOTS ARE HALF PRICE
Want to take a class you’ve taken before to keep your skills sharp? Refresher slots for most courses are half price!
KR TRAINING ON PODCASTS
- Paul Martin on the Spotter Up podcast
- John Daub on the Evolution Security podcast
- Concealed Carry podcast episode 474 – our book discussed in second half of this podcast
RECENT BLOG POSTS
New blog posts and Facebook article links since the last newsletter:
- Book Review: State by State Gun Laws (notes from KR)
- How a Texas gunfighter stopped an ISIS attack (Ammoland)
- Gun Control’s Crisis of Credibility (NRA)
- Two From the Vault (notes from KR)
- Exhibition Shooting (notes from KR)
- Chuck Taylor historical articles (notes from KR)
- Feb 2021 Winter Storm AAR (notes from KR)
- Meeting and Maintaining Acceptable Standards (notes from KR)
- Preparedness Study Resources (notes from KR)
In the past few months, several of our staff have attended courses with Hock Hockheim (Karl, John Daub, Dave Reichek), Ben Stoeger (Karl & Dave), Brian Hill (John Daub), and Tom Givens (Tracy Thronburg and Sean Hoffman). Most of the staff will be attending the upcoming Rangemaster Tactical Conference in Dallas, with Karl and John both teaching sessions as lead instructors, Tracy and Dave working as assistants, and all the rest attending as participants. I’ll post some articles here on the blog about the event when we return.
SONG OF THE MONTH
Back in 2008 I released a CD of original music called “Respectable” (link goes to amazon Mp3 version, physical copies of the CD are available from me at the A-Zone). Here’s another song from that CD: a cover of a classic Texas blues song from the 1920’s, also covered by the Grateful Dead.
FOLLOW US ONLINE!
With the recent trend in Facebook and Twitter deplatforming and shadow banning firearms-related content, I strongly encourage you to subscribe to this blog, as direct email and blogging remain the best ways to get un-filtered, un-suppressed information. The link to subscribe is on the right hand side of every page of the blog, including this newsletter.
Keep up with the interesting articles, links, and stories we share in real time. Follow KR Training on Facebook or Twitter. Subscribe to this newsletter or follow this blog (right) for more frequent posts and information. Send me an email to schedule your private weekday training session.
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training team