Welcome to the KR Training August newsletter! Upcoming highlights include Historical Handgun, a Basic 2/Defensive Pistol 1 combo, a Beyond Basics/Competition Pistol combo, and a late August Basic Pistol 1/Personal Tactics Skills combo for those just getting started in our program.
Check the schedule page on the KR Training website for the full list.
If you aren’t already a subscriber to receive this newsletter each month, you can subscribe here or follow this blog. You can also follow KR Training on Facebook or Twitter for more frequent posts and information.
CLASS DISCOUNTS AND DEALS
50% price refresher slots available in all courses. If you haven’t practiced the skills you learned in class in awhile, fall refresher slots are a great option.
Deal #2) August 26th BRING A FRIEND! Two slots in Personal Tactics Skills for $80 ($40 savings)
For all deals – must pay in full in advance.
AUGUST & SEPTEMBER CLASSES
August 12th – Historical Handgun 1/2 day preview (Rehn) & Reloading Clinic (indoors!) (Rehn)
August 19th – Handgun Coaching (Howard) Gun Cleaning and Maintenance (Howard)
August 26th – Basic Pistol 1 (Daub)/Advanced Training 6 (Rehn) & Personal Tactics Skills (indoors!) (Rehn)
August 27th – Defensive Knife Clinic (indoors!) w/ Chuck Rives
September 9 – Basic Pistol 2 / Defensive Pistol Skills 1 (Rehn)
September 16 – Historical Handgun 1 day (Rehn)
September 23 – Beyond Basics Handgun / Competition Pistol 1 (Rehn)
September 24 – Handgun Coaching / License To Carry (Rehn)
September 30 – Basic Pistol 1 / Gun Selection Clinic (Daub)
September 30 – Shooting Skills, Gun Cleaning and Maintenance (Rehn)
PAUL E PALOOZA SCHOLARSHIP
The 4th session of the biannual Paul-E-Palooza training conference is coming up August 19-20, in Garrettsville, OH. KR Training has one slot we are giving away to any student that can attend and provide us with photos, video, and other info from the event that we can share on our blog and social media pages. The scholarship is still unclaimed, so contact me to claim the free slot, which is a $300 value.
HISTORICAL HANDGUN PREVIEW
I have developed a new program called Historical Handgun, teaching the history of handgun training and skills, 1935-present. The full course is a 2 day program that I’ll start offering in 2018, at the A-Zone and on the road. I’ll offer a 1/2 day preview of the shooting part of the class on August 12th, and a 1 day preview on Saturday Sept 16. Students that attend either of the preview courses will also get credit that can be used toward slots in the 2 day version I’ll offer spring 2018.
PERSONAL TACTICS SKILLS CLASS August 26th
Personal Tactics Skills is a 3 hour course that teaches the non-shooting skills essential to avoiding common mistakes in common armed citizen situations. Being good at shooting is not enough to avoid making errors in tactics, decision making and communication. There is much more to “self defense” training than marksmanship and gunhandling. Here’s an AAR from a 2011 session of this course. If you haven’t taken Advanced Training 2 because you don’t feel ‘ready’ for Simunition or Airsoft force on force training, this class is for you. It’s also perfect for couples or friends to learn the basics of team tactics. We are offering a Bring a Friend option – 2 slots for $80, which is a $40 savings.
AUGUST 27th – DEFENSIVE KNIFE STREETSMARTS
Chuck Rives will return for a 5 hour knife clinic, suitable for students at all levels. It will be conducted indoors in the cool, comfortable AC.
STAFF PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
In July, John Daub attended a 2 day Dark Angel Medical course. In August, all the KR Training instructors certified to teach the License to Carry course will attend refresher training at the DPS academy. In September, Karl will attend the School Safety Instructor certification course at the DPS academy, joining Paul Martin and Tina Maldonado as KR Training staff certified to teach this new state course. In October, Karl will take a 2 day Vehicle Defense course taught by John Farnam in Victoria, Texas. It’s important for trainers to continue to learn and improve by taking courses from others.
- FBI qualification course of fire 1945 – from my Historical Handgun course (KR blog)
- Defensive Pistol Small Gun class July 2017 – my AAR (KR blog)
- Functional vs. legal standards for training – (KR blog)
- 9 changes to Texas law – Dallas Morning News
- Five reasons firearms training fails – Lucky Gunner – KR Training mentioned
- Las Vegas cops use tourniquet to save suspect they shot – The Truth About Guns (graphic video)
- August Rangemaster (Tom Givens) newsletter – Rangemaster
- Auditory Start Not Realistic – Firearm User Network
- Preparation to Stop Mass Shooter – Armed Citizens Network – KR Training mentioned
- Gun buyers not all old white guys – New York Times
- July 2017 Small Gun class AAR – AR15 Armory
- July 2017 Long Gun class AAR – AR15 Armory
- Getting Started in Competitive Shooting – Applied Ballistics
- Weekend Knowledge Dump (lots of articles) – Active Response Training/Ellifritz
- Paul Martin has a youtube channel and a new video blog, The Situation
- Refilling Medical Kits – (Hsoi)
- Smart gun hacked by magnets – Wired
- Good collection of bad grip techniques to avoid – A Girl and a Gun
- Tactical Wire July 25, 2017 – KR Training and Tom Givens mentioned
- History of Firearms trainers – Gun Culture 2.0 (another KR Training mention)
- Timers and Standards for Gunfights – Firearm User Network
- How Shooting Affects Your Hearing – Firearm User Network
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training team