2021 CLASSES AND AMMO SHORTAGES
Ammunition has become very expensive and hard to get. As a result we have reduced the rounds requires for most classes, and will continue to offer many defensive skills courses that have no live fire component. Live fire is fun but not essential for learning or developing skills. Taking classes with .22 caliber guns will be allowed, and dry firing is always a good way to maintain and develop skills.
Here are the classes we have scheduled through end of March. We have reduced round counts and in some cases reduced class hours and prices. Some weekends were left open to add more courses as students request them or to reschedule in case of weather cancellations.
Don’t see the class you want here? Let us know. Many classes can be taught as weekday private lessons, or we can add it to the schedule if there’s enough interest.
- December 5, 11a-3p, Personal Tactics Skills + Pepper Spray Essentials
- December 5, 3p-5p, Stop the Bleed
- December 13, 10a-12p, Stop the Bleed
- December 13, 12-4p, Civilian Response To Active Shooter (lecture)
- January 16, 10-12, Online LTC Completion / LTC Refresher / Basic Pistol 2
- January 16, 1-4, Correcting Common Shooting Errors (100 round version)
- January 17, 10-12, Stop the Bleed
- January 17, 1-5, Beyond Basics Rifle
- January 23, 10-12, Online LTC Completion / LTC Refresher / Basic Pistol 2
- January 23, 1-5, Personal Tactics Skills & Pepper Spray Essentials
- January 24, 10-12, Online LTC Completion / LTC Refresher / Basic Pistol 2
- January 24, 1-5, Red Dot Pistol Essentials (100 round version)
- January 30-31, Vehicle Gunfights (Hock Hockheim)
- February 6, 10-12, Online LTC Completion / LTC Refresher / Basic Pistol 2
- February 6, 1-5, Defensive Pistol Skills 1
- February 20, 10-12, Skill Builder Pistol (100 round)
- February 20, 1-4, Defensive Shotgun Essentials
- March 5, Force on Force Instructor
- March 6, 8a-12, Defensive Pistol Skills 2
- March 6, 1-5, AT-2 Force on Force Scenarios
- March 6, 6-9, Low Light Shooting 1
- March 20-21, Street Encounter Skills and Tactics (John Murphy)
LTC REFRESHER & BASIC PISTOL 2 now same as ONLINE LTC COMPLETION
The 2 hour Online LTC Completion class is an hour of indoor lecture and dryfire work, plus 50 rounds of practice drills and one run on the 50 round LTC shooting test. The drills are the same ones we run in our Basic Pistol 2 course, and by using a more challenging target and starting with pistol holstered, the drills are excellent practice for more advanced shooters.
The updated course now fills 3 roles in our program:
- Online LTC completion for those taking LTC for the first time.
- Basic Pistol 2. The course includes all the drills from Basic Pistol 2 with a much shorter lecture. Students must pass the LTC shooting test with a score of 90% or higher to earn a Basic Pistol 2 certificate.
- LTC / Defensive Pistol refresher. Graduates of Basic Pistol 2 and/or LTC holders can shoot the drills and test on the B-27 or more difficult IDPA or KRT-2 target. Graduates of DPS-1 or higher classes can run the drills and test starting with pistol holstered from open carry or concealed.
This short, $60, 100 round course is a perfect winter tuneup for all levels of students.
HOCK HOCKHEIM VEHICLE GUNFIGHTING COURSE
On January 30-31, international (Texas-based) trainer Hock Hockheim will be visiting us to teach a Vehicle Gunfighting course. This two day, $300, 200 round class will include live fire, Airsoft/Simunition work, and lecture on fighting with firearms in and around vehicles. This is a pistol-only class (no long guns). Space in this course is limited and registration is open.
GOA Texas Activist Online Training
Gun Owners of America are offering free online training for those interested in being more politically active during the upcoming legislative session. Three 1-hour courses will be offered in December. Click here to sign up for updates about these courses.
- Thursday, December 10: Your Lifeline – the TLO Website. Learn to navigate the Texas Legislature Online website to find all the TXLege information you need without moving off of your couch.
- Thursday, December 17: Talking to Legislators — Learn to advocate for your beliefs through phone calls, emails, meetings, and in testimony at committee hearings – and discover the most effective way to use your time.
NOVEMBER BLOG POSTS
In case you missed it, here’s what we’ve been blogging about in November:
- 1989 Texas Challenge USPSA Match
- Book Review: The Modern Technique of the Pistol (Morrison, 1991)
- 1978 First Draft IPSC Rules
- 1980 American Pistol Institute (Gunsite) class notes
- Book Review: Serious Mistakes Gunowners Make (Werner, 2019)
- 1980 Chuck Taylor course notes
SONG OF THE MONTH
Santa’s is the largest Christmas attraction in the South, more than 100 acres of lights and activities – this year’s expansion includes an ice skating rink, to complement the real snow mountain for tubing and more than 3 million lights on the hay ride trail. If you come on a weeknight (I play Tue-Thu every week through Christmas week) it’s less crowded with shorter lines.
Keep up with the interesting articles, links, and stories we share in real time. Follow KR Training on Facebook or Twitter. Subscribe to this newsletter or follow this blog (right) for more frequent posts and information. Send me an email to schedule your private weekday training session.
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training team