AUGUST 2022 UPDATE
Due to a special request we have added a multi-day block of NRA instructor training!
NRA INSTRUCTOR TRAINING
- NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Training – August 31- Sept 1
- NRA CCW Student Course – Sept 2 (open to all students)
- NRA CCW Pistol Instructor Training – Sept 3-4 (must attend Sept 2 student course also)
- NRA Chief Range Safety Officer – Sept 5 (must be NRA Range Safety Officer to attend)
Update: the scholarship slots have all been claimed.
Upcoming classes with space available:
- Intermediate Rifle – August 21
- Basic Pistol 1 & Gun Selection– August 27 JUST ADDED!!!
- FOF Instructor – August 27 (MEMPHIS, TN)
- Tactical Scenarios – August 28 (MEMPHIS, TN)
- NRA CCW Student Course – Sept 2
- ***Basic Pistol 2 / Online LTC Completion – Sept 10 am
- ***Red Dot Pistol Essentials – Sept 11
- ***Handgun Beyond Basics – Sept 17 am
- ***Defensive Pistol Skills 1 – Sept 17 pm
- Defensive Rifle 1 – Sept 18
- Force on Force Instructor – Sept 23
- ***Tactical Scenarios (AT-2 Scenarios + AT-7 + Medical) – Sept 24
- ***Tactics Laboratory (AT-5) – Sept 25
- Massad Ayoob Group MAG-20 Range – Oct 6-7
- Massad Ayoob Group MAG-20 Classroom – Oct 8-9
- ***Defensive Pistol Skills 2 – Oct 15 afternoon
- ***Low Light Shooting 1 – Oct 15 evening
- ***Defensive Pistol Skills 3 – Oct 23
- Church Security Instructor (Steve Moses) – Oct 29-30
Courses marked with *** are classes that count toward the Defensive Pistol Skills Program challenge coin. Any pistol course taught by in-house staff can count toward your elective hours. More class dates through end of December are listed here.
Prices and registration links are at www.krtraining.com
BASIC PISTOL 1, BASIC PISTOL 2 and PERSONAL TACTICS SKILLS
Due to student requests we added another Basic Pistol 1 class on Saturday, August 27. This will include the Gun Selection clinic. This class is for people with little or no shooting experience and those wanting an opportunity to try different guns before making a gun purchase decision.
We also have Basic Pistol 2 (which includes the range work necessary to complete the online Texas License to Carry course), and Personal Tactics Skills offered back to back on Sept 10. The PTS course teaches “what to do” in the most common self defense scenarios. The class includes home defense, vehicle defense, pepper spray and other topics. Highly recommended for ALL carry permit holders.
FORCE ON FORCE WEEKEND SEPT 23-25
Our fall “force on force” training will happen Saturday Sept 24 and Sunday Sept 25. We only offer this training twice a year. The Saturday course (Tactical Scenarios) will include the entire AT-2 course (required for our Defensive Pistol Skills Program) plus more scenarios from our AT-7 course and scenarios incorporating medical skills (co-taught with Caleb Causey of Lone Star Medics).
The Sunday class will include more complex scenarios, including some that allow physical contact (similar to Craig Douglas’ ECQC course) along with disengagement, harsh words, pepper spray, and (Simunition) gun. Dave Reichek, who has been a role player for multiple years of Craig Douglas’ Experiential Labs run at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference, will be co-teaching this course with me.
RED DOT PISTOL COURSE SEPT 11
Dave Reichek and Doug Greig will teach a 6 hour Red Dot Pistol Course on Sept 11 (Sunday). This course focuses on red dot specific knowledge and skills. Loaner guns are available for those that want to learn about red dot sights but have not yet upgraded their gear to have one on a pistol.
Back in June, Tom Givens and I co-taught a session of my Historical Handgun class. I wrote about it in this blog post.
A dedicated group of advanced students attended the Advanced Training 4 class in early August. Due to the small class size we were able to add some bonus drills working around and in the new range car to the course. See what you missed in the instagram video. We will offer AT-4 again in summer 2023.
KR TRAINING STAFF NEWS
Doug Greig attended and passed the Department of Public Safety’s new First Responder handgun course. DPS is also allowing instructors to offer the course to carry permit holders, as a higher level tactical and defensive pistol course. We will have more details about the course and our plans to offer it to students after more of our team attends the instructor certification course at DPS.
Karl and John were guests on the Concealed Carry Texas podcast.
Our book “Strategies and Standards for Defensive Pistol” was the Book of the Month for the A Girl and a Gun club, and Karl participated in the book club Zoom meeting in late July.
Back in June I was a guest instructor at the Surgical Speed Shooting Summit. Lee Weems had several of us guest instructors on his podcast in early July.
SONG OF THE MONTH
Earlier this year I released an album with updated mixes and remastered tracks. This song features Mick McMillan on lead guitar. For more videos from all my recent musical activities, visit the Karl Rehn Music youtube channel.
FOLLOW US ONLINE!
Keep up with the interesting articles, links, and stories we share in real time. Follow KR Training on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Subscribe to this newsletter or follow this blog (right) for more frequent posts and information. Send me an email to schedule your private weekday training session.
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training team