UPCOMING CLASSES AT THE A-ZONE
Here are the classes we have scheduled with space available through end of August. Don’t see the class you want here? Let us know. Many classes can be taught as weekday private lessons, or we can add it to the schedule if there’s enough interest.
Courses marked with *** are core classes that count toward the Defensive Pistol Skills Program challenge coin. Any pistol course (Red Dot, Competition, Team Tactics, AIWB Skills, Skill Builder, AT-7 Scenarios) taught by in-house staff can count toward your elective hours.
- May 27, (Thursday night), USPSA match
- May 29-30 – USPSA Level 1 Range Officer certification course
- June 5 – Medicine X Scenarios (Lone Star Medics)
- June 6 – Dynamic First Aid (Lone Star Medics)
- June 10 (Thursday night), USPSA match
- ***June 12 (morning), LTC Completion/Basic Pistol 2
- ***June 12 (afternoon), Defensive Pistol Skills 1
- June 19, Team Tactics
- June 24 (Thursday night), USPSA match
- ***June 26 – Defensive Pistol Skills 2 (morning)
- ***June 26 – Personal Tactics Skills (afternoon)
- July 10 – AT-7 Force on Force Scenarios
- July 11 – Red Dot Pistol Essentials
- July 16 – Close Quarter Decisions (Complete Combatant/Brian Hill)
- July 17-18 – Image Based Decisional Drills Instructor (Complete Combatant/ Brian and Shelley Hill)
- July 24 – AIWB (Appendix Carry) Skills (morning)
- July 24 – Skill Builder 100 round version (afternoon)
- August 5 – Handgun Reloading Seminar – Hodgdon Powder staff
- August 28 – Preparedness Summer School Day 1 – Paul Martin
- August 29 – Preparedness Summer School Day 2 (medical) – Dr. Ben Weger
CLASSES WITH DOUG GREIG (CONROE AREA – Thunder Gun Range)
- May 29, 10-2, Defensive Rifle I
- May 29, 2:30-6:30, Defensive Rifle II
- June 5, 10-2, Basic Handgun
- June 5, 2:30-6:30, Basic Rifle
- June 12, 10-2, Basic Shotgun
- June 12, 2:30-6:30 Intermediate Shotgun
KR TRAINING TURNS 30!
I taught my first for-profit group class, Handgunning Beyond the Basics, in May 1991 at the Hill Country Rifle Range. This month will be my 30th anniversary as a trainer. Many thanks to all the student and staff (and of course, my wonderful wife and KR Training co-owner Penny Riggs!) for being a part of that journey. The first newsletter we put out was in winter of 1996, after the Concealed Handgun License program started. Click here to see that piece of KR Training history.
Caleb Causey returns to the A-Zone June 5 and 6 for two 1-day courses: Medicine X Scenarios (for graduates of Medicine X or similar courses), and Dynamic First Aid (general first aid and trauma training).
DAUB DRILLS BOOK UPDATE
John Daub has updated and expanded his “Drills, Qualifications, Standards, & Tests” e-book (May 2021 edition). Now with 79 pages and over 60 drills and variations, as well as expanded commentary on topics such as “how to start” and the importance of the “draw to first shot” skill.
“Drills, Qualifications, Standards, & Tests” will help you achieve your goals of acquiring skills beyond minimum competency. It provide insights into John’s training approach, and commentary on various drills. It also captured bits of history and interesting backstories behind some drills. The drills themselves are presented in a manner to facilitate administration when you’re on the range: setup, execution, scoring.
The e-book will be continually updated, so subscribe to the KR Training mailing list to be notified of release updates
NEW APPENDIX CARRY CLASS
John Daub offered his Appendix Inside the Waistband Carry Skills course as a session at the 2021 Rangemaster Tactical Conference. Stick around for the 2 hour Skill Builder course afterward to get even more AIWB practice!
With AIWB’s growth in popularity as a carry method, it’s important to know how to use this mode of carry safely, efficiently, and effectively. Our AIWB Fundamental Skills class provides you with knowledge and skills about AIWB concepts, equipment, and technique to enable you to safely and effectively carry AIWB. This 4-hour, 50-round class will cover: pros and cons of AIWB; equipment design and selection to maximize comfort, concealment, and skill; two-handed concealment drawstroke; one-handed concealment drawstroke; proper holstering technique; working from a seated position; and more!
COMPLETE COMBATANT JULY CLASSES
We are hosting Brian and Shelley Hill from the Complete Combatant in July for a 1 day Close Quarter Decisions (integrated gun/unarmed) course on Friday, and their 2 day Image-Based Decisional Drills Instructor Certification class July 17-18.
SUMMER USPSA MATCHES
We are starting up our summer USPSA matches May 13. Limited to 18 shooters. No prior match experience required, but you do need to have completed a holster class with us (DPS-1 or higher level). Show up as late as 7 pm, 3-4 quick stages, and the opportunity to shoot the stages again for fun after the match is over. More info and registration links here. In the pic below Dave Reichek demonstrates an IDPA-style stage set up in our shoot house using a SIRT pistol.
RECENT BLOG ARTICLES
- Book Review: The Book of Pistol and Revolver (1918)
- Historical Handgun April 2021 class AAR part 1
- Historical Handgun April 2021 class AAR part 2
- Book Review: Jelly Bryce volume 1
SONG OF THE MONTH – TEXAS T-BIRDS PROMO
New short promo video from one of the bands I play with.
FOLLOW US ONLINE!
Keep up with the interesting articles, links, and stories we share in real time. Follow KR Training on Facebook or Twitter. Subscribe to this newsletter or follow this blog (right) for more frequent posts and information. Send me an email to schedule your private weekday training session.
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training team