Welcome to the KR Training November 2019 newsletter!
Happy Thanksgiving from the crew at KR Training. As you’re recovering, take a look at some new classes we’ve added to the training schedule for 2020. Some of these will fill quickly, so don’t hesitate to register in advance. While you’re at it, consider adding training to your Christmas wish list or giving the gift of training to those you care about.
Trying to complete your coursework for the DPS program challenge coin? Courses marked with an asterisk (*) are core courses and ALL the courses taught by KR Training staff can be counted toward the “elective” hours needed to earn the coin.
More class dates will be announced in the December newsletter.
A-ZONE Classes – Jan-Mar 2020
- Jan 4, 1-5 – Paul Martin lectures / generator & night vision demo
- Jan 5, 9-12 – Dave Reichek lecture on Potential Threat Management
- Jan 5, 1-5 – Defensive Long Gun with Karl and Wendell Joost
- Jan 11, 9-12 – Civilian Response To Active Shooter lecture (FREE)
- Jan 11-12 – Active Shooter (DPS certified course)
- Jan 19, 12-5 – *Defensive Pistol Skills 3
- Jan 25, 9-1 – *Basic Pistol 2 (Daub)
- Feb 1, 9-1 – *Defensive Pistol Skills 1 (Daub)
- Feb 22, 8-12 – Correcting Common Shooting Errors
- Feb 22, 1-5 – Historical Handgun (1/2 day format)
- Feb 24, 9-5 – Tests and Standards (John Johnston)
- Feb 29-March 1 – Practical Shooting Fundamentals (Ben Stoeger)
- Mar 6, 9-5 – Force on Force Instructor
- Mar 7, 8-12 – *Defensive Pistol Skills 2 (w/ John Murphy)
- Mar 7, 1-5 – *Advanced Training 2 Scenarios (w/ John Murphy)
- Mar 8, 9-5 – Concealed Carry Advanced Skills and Tactics (w/ John Murphy)
- Mar 21, 9-5 – Handgun Retention (Marty Hayes)
- Feb 16, 12-3 – Personal Tactics Skills (San Antonio)
- Feb 16, 3:30-6 – Correcting Common Shooting Errors (San Antonio)
- Mar 27-29 – Rangemaster Tactical Conference
Welcome to new KR Training Assistant Instructor Doug Greig. Doug is a graduate of all the SIG Academy instructor courses, Army veteran, NRA certified trainer and highly skilled shooter. He will be assisting with some of our courses in 2020, and offering some courses in the Franklin and Caldwell areas.
Adjunct Instructor Paul T. Martin and Assistant Instructor Becky Dolgener successfully completed Rangemaster Defensive Shotgun Instructor certification in October. Read Becky’s write-up about things she learned in the class, and consider signing up for Defensive Long Gun Essentials along with the rest of “The Ocho” 2020 Preparedness Weekend January 4-5.
Take a few minutes to get into the Christmas spirit with these videos of Karl performing at Santa’s Wonderland in College Station. The fun continues every day through December 30, so there’s still time to come out and watch Karl and his fellow musicians perform live.
“THE OCHO” 2020 Preparedness Weekend
There’s still time to register for the 8th Annual Preparedness Weekend to kick off your 2020 training. Attend any half-day session for $100, two sessions for $180, three sessions for $240, or all four sessions for $280. Payment in full in advance is required to register for The Ocho.
- Friday, January 3. Chuck Haggard of Agile Training will teach a one-day pepper spray instructor course. SOLD OUT
- Saturday morning, January 4, Chuck will teach a half-day student pepper spray course. SOLD OUT
- Saturday afternoon, January 4. Learn all about generators, from selection to care and use, from Kurt Summers of Austin Generator. Paul will then present lectures on The Second Civil War, Austin in Crisis, and Preparing for Civil Unrest. After dark there will be a night vision equipment demo from Third Coast Thermal.
- Sunday morning, January 5. KR Training Instructor Dave Reichek will provide hands-on training in managing communication, position, movement and body language when interacting with unknown individuals in public places.
- Sunday afternoon, January 5. Karl Rehn and Wendell Joost will teach a session of Defensive Long Gun Essentials.
Just a reminder: starting January 1, 2020, registrations for all courses will require payment in full in advance to help make class registration easier for all of us.
Here’s a list of links to articles we’ve shared since our last newsletter. See links as we post them by following KR Training on Facebook or Twitter.
- 6 lessons from the Saugus High School shooting, PoliceOne.com
- More bibliohoplophilia., Sportsfirings.com, Whipped Cream Difficulties
- Book Review – Defensive Pistol Fundamentals (Grant Cunningham, 2014), Notes from KR
- AAR – Rangemaster Master Firearms Instructor Development and Certification Course, November 15-17, 2019, Stuff from Hsoi
- The Importance of the Locked Wrist, Massad Ayoob for American Handgunner
- California’s Restrictive Gun Laws Still Can’t Prevent Shootings, Reason.com
- Civilian Carry Radio 116 – John Hearne LEO and of Rangemaster, Firearms Radio Network
- Armed store owner turns tables on armed robbers at South Austin pawn shop, FOX 7 Austin
- Testing G2 R.I.P., Liberty Civil Defense, Inceptor, and Lehigh Defense Rounds – Part 6 – Conclusions, The Firearm Blog
- Gun owner killed trying to stop Houston pawn shop robbery, Chron.com
- Concealed carry holder detains suspect after brawl at Temple Raising Cane’s, KCENTV.com
- 2019 Practical Pistol Reunion – Gun Guy book review, Notes from KR
- These Law-Abiding People Used Guns to Defend Themselves in October, The Daily Signal
- DGU, Sportsfirings.com, Whipped Cream Difficulties
- Shooting from Retention, Integrated Skills Group
- Book Review – Handguns and Self Defense, (3rd printing, Mike Dalton and Mickey Fowler, 1984), Notes from KR
- Update for November 18, 2019, PrepperDepot.org
- Person Legally Carrying Gun Stops Walmart Shooting In Duncan, Oklahoma, Crime Prevention Research Center
- Bad Commands, Books. Bikes. Boomsticks., View from the Porch
- James Alan Fox: There Is No Evidence of an ‘Epidemic of Mass Shootings’, Reason.com
- Is Kavanaugh, The Supreme Court, Or The First Circuit Right About The Second Amendment?, The Federalist
- Jon Lachuk – The Gun Behind Hollywood Heroes, Gunfighter Gulch
- 21-Foot Principle Clarified by Dennis Tueller and Ken Wallentine, YouTube video
- Weekend Knowledge Dump- November 15, 2019, Greg Ellifritz, Active Response Training
- Trigger Warning: Trigger Finger Placement, Target Barn
- Bernie Sanders Can’t Keep His Position On Banning ‘Assault Weapons’ Straight, The Federalist
- U.S. Secret Service Wants Schools To Treat Unhappy Students as Potential Violent Threats, Reason.com
- Come and Take It: What Will and What Will Not Improve Public Safety in Firearm Violence Prevention, Texas Public Policy Foundation
- Do Aftermarket Mods Help You Shoot Better?, Notes from KR
- Big Bear Leatherslap – The Peak Years, Elden Carl, Recollections of a Combat Master
- Active Killer Gun Malfunctions, Greg Ellifritz, Active Response Training
- Gabe’s class and the Swampfox Kingslayer RDS, Notes from KR
- Weekend Knowledge Dump- November 1, 2019, Greg Ellifritz, Active Response Training
- Should you take a shooting lesson?, Ammoman.com
If you aren’t already a subscriber, to receive this newsletter each month, subscribe here or follow this blog (right) for more frequent posts and information. You can also follow and interact with us on Twitter or Instagram. I will have very limited weekday availability for private lessons in December. KR Training instructors Sean Hoffman, Tina Maldonado and Tracy Thronburg also offer private training on request.
Send me an email to schedule your training session.
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training team