Welcome to the KR Training September 2017 newsletter! Upcoming classes include Basic Pistol 1 (Sept 30th), Defensive Long Gun Essentials & Skill Builder Handgun (Oct 14). Some October courses are already sold out.
Check the schedule page on the KR Training website for the full list.
If you aren’t already a subscriber to receive this newsletter each month, you can subscribe here or follow this blog. You can also follow KR Training on Facebook or Twitter for more frequent posts and information.
CLASS DISCOUNTS AND DEALS
50% price refresher slots available in all courses. If you haven’t practiced the skills you learned in class in awhile, fall refresher slots are a great option.
CHANGES TO TEXAS LAWS
Knife carry: They removed the length restriction from the definition of “illegal knife” but replaced “illegal knife” with “location restricted knife.” So there are still restrictions on knives with blades over 5.5 inches. You can’t carry them “anywhere.” Basically, if you can’t carry a gun there, you can’t carry a long blade, e.g., amusement parks, hospitals, bars with a 51% sign, etc.
LTC fees and caliber: LTC minimum caliber now .22. LTC 5 year fee now $40.
We have LTC courses coming up Oct 22 (A-Zone) and Oct 29 (NW Austin).
Law regarding storage of a handgun in a vehicle in a school parking lot improved.
Campus carry now allowed at community colleges. Here is ACC’s policy page.
UPCOMING BASIC / INTERMEDIATE CLASSES
September 30 morning- Basic Pistol 1 (Rehn)
October 14 morning – Defensive Long Gun Essentials (Rehn)
October 14 afternoon – Skill Builder Handgun (Rehn)
October 21 morning – Basic Pistol 2 (Rehn)
October 21 afternoon – Defensive Pistol Skills 1 (Rehn)
ADVANCED TRAINING SERIES
October 8th (Sunday afternoon) we are offering the Tactics Laboratory (AT-5) course. It’s similar to Craig Douglas’ Extreme Close Quarters Concepts course, covering similar material, taught by Karl, Leslie Buck and Dave Reichek. It’s at a lower intensity level, intended for those new to integrated force on force training that merges unarmed and armed skills. If you’ve passed our Defensive Pistol Skills 1 course, you can attend AT-5. There is NO requirement to have taken other courses in the AT- series to attend.
In October we’ll offer Advanced Training 4, Advanced Training 6 and Advanced Training 5A (low light level 2) all on Sunday, October 15th. These courses are for students that have completed at least Defensive Pistol Skills 2 or higher level training. These courses won’t be offered again until summer 2018.
I’m also offering my Force on Force instructor certification class for those wanting to learn how to run scenario based training. Attendees must take the Friday instructor course and attend/assist with all classes offered on October 7 and 8 to complete the training.
HISTORICAL HANDGUN PREVIEW PART TWO
I have developed a new program called Historical Handgun, teaching the history of handgun training and skills, 1935-present. I’ve offered two preview courses so far, and been interviewed on the Ballistic Radio and Polite Society podcasts about the new course. On October 28th I’m going to offer a preview of Part Two of the course. This will be material not presented in the other two preview classes. More drills, more historical video, more classroom material on key historical figures.
Students that attend either of the preview courses will also get credit that can be used toward slots in the 2 day version I’ll offer in May 2018.
- Ballistic Radio interview Sept 2017
- Karl on Polite Society Podcast August 2017
- Sept 2017 1 day Historical Handgun class AAR (Hsoi)
- Fairbairn and Sykes book review (KR blog)
- Selecting your First gun (Active Response Training)
- More perspectives on minimum competency (Hsoi)
- Myth: you can’t use your sights in a gunfight (Firearm User Network)
- FPF Training video Skill Beyond the Gun from NRA Carry Guard convention in August (We’ll be hosting FPF Training in 2018!)
- Competition shooting for Combat Readiness – interviews with active & reserve military shooters about their personal experiences using competition skills in combat (Firearm User Network).
- Texas exhibition shooter Ad Toepperwein’s revolver (NRA Blog)
- Training for the two way range (Firearm User Network)
- How to Practice – how we learn (Firearm User Network)
- Ball and Dummy training (Tactical Professor)
- Hitting Every Target (SWAT magazine) – article from KR Training student Mark Overstreet
- KR Training mentioned by Tracy Thronburg in Self Defense Stories podcast
- Armed Austinite saves jogger from attack at Lady Bird Lake (Statesman)
- Analysis of Texas LTC data by KR Training assistant instructor Howard Nemerov
- Kids and accidental shootings (Melody Lauer- Citizens Defense Research) – we will be hosting the Armed Parent course again June 2018.
- Clint Smith video on how to clear malfunctions
- Massad Ayoob interviews San Antonio gunsmith/range owner Greg Ferris about his two gunfights
- More about Ad Toepperwein in this book (Whipped Cream Difficulties)
- Shooting Ed Head’s CHL practice drill (KR blog)
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training team