Check the schedule page on the KR Training website for the full list.
If you aren’t already a subscriber to receive this newsletter each month, you can subscribe here or follow this blog. You can also follow KR Training on Facebook or Twitter for more frequent posts and information.
CLASS DISCOUNTS AND DEALS
Deal #2) Bring a Friend to Defensive Pistol Skills Small Gun — two slots for $100 ($50 savings)
Deal #3) Wednesday afternoon 2 hour private lesson (3-5 pm) and evening (6-8 pm) USPSA Match – July 26, August 9 or August 23 for $100 ($50 savings)
Deal #4) Refresher slots in any July or August class. Re-take any class you’ve taken before for half price!
Deal #5) Bring A Friend Discount! Sign up with a friend, both of you get 25% discount off any July or August class.
For all deals – must pay in full in advance.
JULY & AUGUST CLASSES
July 22nd – Handgun Beyond the Basics (Rehn)
July 29th – Defensive Pistol Small Gun (Rehn) & Skill Builder Long Gun (Rehn)
July 29th – Basic Pistol 1 (9-12, taught by John Daub)
August 5th – Advanced Training 4 (Rehn) & Reloading Clinic (indoors!) (Rehn)
August 12th – Historical Handgun 1/2 day preview (Rehn)
August 19th (9-11) – Skill Builder (Hogel) / Handgun Coaching (Howard)
August 19th (11-1)- Gun Cleaning and Maintenance (Hogel/Howard)
August 26th – Advanced Training 6 (Rehn) & Personal Tactics Skills (indoors!) (Rehn)
August 27th – Defensive Knife Clinic (indoors!) w/ Chuck Rives
DEFENSIVE PISTOL SMALL GUN
On July 29th I’ll offer another session of Defensive Pistol Small Gun. I know many of you have pocket sized guns: Glock 42’s, Ruger LCP’s, .38 snubs, M&P Shields, and others. Maybe that gun is your primary carry gun, maybe it’s not. Maybe you know somebody that never trains and never practices but carries one of those little guns in their pocket or their purse. Those people would really benefit from taking this course. The class is appropriate for anyone with an LTC whether they have taken our other Defensive Pistol courses or not.
Maybe you don’t have a little gun and would like to have some fun running one of our loaner guns in drills, to learn the pros and cons of the little gun vs. the larger gun carried in a belt holster.
The Small Gun class is more than the DPS-1 drills shot with a different gun. If you’ve taken DPS-1, you’ll still learn something new from DPS Small Gun. And if you’ve haven’t practiced the drills we run in DPS-1 (or -2 or -3) since you took the course, DPS Small Gun is a great way to refresh those skills.
If 3 hours of shooting isn’t enough for you, stick around for the 2 hour Skill Builder Long Gun that afternoon. That class can be taken with any rifle or pistol caliber carbine, including a .22, making it suitable for all levels from the “I bought an AR and haven’t shot it yet” student to the experienced long gun “operator”.
HISTORICAL HANDGUN PREVIEW
I have developed a new program called Historical Handgun, teaching the history of handgun training and skills, 1935-present. The full course is a 2 day program that I’ll start offering in 2018, at the A-Zone and on the road. I’ll offer a 1/2 day preview of the shooting part of the class on August 12th, and a 1 day preview, co-taught with Tom Givens, on Monday Sept 18 after the Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor course.
AUGUST 19th – MANY OPTIONS
I’ll be on the road August 19th, but assistant instructors Tom Hogel and Greg Howard will offer several classes. From 9-11, Tom will run the 2 hour Skill Builder session on the main range for intermediate and advanced students and Greg will offer a 2 hour Handgun Coaching session in the classroom and the small range for basic and intermediate students wanting to tune up their fundamentals. Then from 11-1, they will co-teach a Gun Cleaning and Maintenance class indoors.
This combo is perfect for couples or families – the more experienced shooter could attend Skill Builder, the less experienced shooter takes Handgun Coaching, and with the Bring a Friend discount, sticking around for the Gun Cleaning and Maintenance class is an affordable option.
SUMMER USPSA MATCHES
You don’t have to be a USPSA member to attend.
You don’t have be an experienced competitor to attend.
The summer matches are an excellent, new shooter friendly way to try pistol competition.
Summer USPSA matches will continue in July and August. These are Wednesday evening matches. We will start shooting at 6 pm but you can arrive as late as 7 pm and still shoot the stages. After everyone has shot for score, additional runs are allowed for fun and practice. Follow this link for more information about the summer matches. Matches are limited to 18 shooters so they run quickly.
- Book Review – Sixguns and Bullseyes (KR) – shooting book from 1936
- Blocking unwanted calls (KR) – not gun related, but useful info
- Another loss for the KR Training family (KR)
- Book Review – Guns and Gunning (1934) (KR)
- The Situation with Paul Martin (episode 1, episode 2, episode 3, episode 4) – Prepper Paul’s weekly video blog
- Federal court blocks California magazine confiscation (Volokh/Washington Post)
- Training from your vehicle with a SIRT pistol (Next Level Training)
- Burglary of Residence Prevention Tips (Hsoi)
- Not This Again! (bad gunhandling w/ gory pics) (Breach Bang Clear)
- UT professor campus carry lawsuit thrown out of court (Austin American Statesman)
- Teach them not to rape? Water control? (Hsoi)
- Safe reholstering (A Girl and a Gun) – At a recent local IDPA match, a competitor’s firearm discharged when his vest’s zipper got caught in the trigger as he holstered after “load and make ready”. The article is a good reminder of best practices for holster work.
- Move fast, shoot slow (Hsoi)
- How to clear your home (Art of Manliness – Mike Seeklander guest column)
- The rise of the private citizen gun training industry (Gun Culture 2.0)
- Viability of “full time” firearms instructor job (Gun Culture 2.0 – my guest column)
- Establishing Hard Standards (Mountain Guerilla – KR Training mentioned in this article)
- Lt. Brian Murphy Sikh Temple Shooting (Hsoi/ProArms podcast)
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training team