Classes continue to fill quickly at the A-Zone Range, so we’ve added more training opportunities to the schedule to accommodate more students while keeping classes small. We’re also aware that ammunition can be hard to find, so we have scheduled more non-shooting classes and reduced total round counts in many classes.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The page at this link is our official COVID status page.
- Masks are mandatory inside the A-Zone classroom building.
- The range is set up to facilitate 6 feet of distance on the firing line and at the safe tables.
- Classes remain at 50% of normal capacity per state and Lee County guidelines.
- Round counts are lower in many of our classes, but not all.
- Registered students will receive updated round counts in their pre-class email.
- We recommend finding deals on ammunition at AmmoSeek.com, but read this message from AmmoSeek to understand why your order may be back-ordered, sold out, or delayed significantly.
Although we’ve added many classes, they continue to fill quickly. Weekday lessons are available with Karl for individuals, families, or small groups. Tina Maldonado and Sean Hoffman are available for weekday and weekend sessions in the NW Austin/Georgetown area, and Doug Greig is available in the Caldwell/Bryan/College Station and Conroe area. Training is available at any level, including LTC online completion. Contact us to schedule.
REFERRING NEW GUN OWNERS
Many of the classes we’ve added are entry level classes suitable for new gun owners and those with LTC and no other training. Often new gun owners think that the only training they need are classes in gunhandling and marksmanship. As discussed in Claude Werner’s excellent book “Serious Mistakes Gunowners Make“, the greatest failure area is tactics: taking the wrong actions, at the wrong time. If you recommend our courses to new gun owners, please encourage them to attend not only the basic gun skills courses we’ve added, but the Home Defense Tactics and Personal Tactics Skills courses that teach the non-shooting skills necessary to avoid making serious mistakes.
We do have loaner guns available for beginner classes, including shotgun and carbine classes, for those that want to learn those skills that don’t yet own a firearm, or have had difficulty finding the firearm they want in stock.
UPCOMING LIVE-FIRE CLASSES
We asked for your input into the class schedule, and have responded by adding many of the most-requested live fire classes to the August – October training calendar. Some classes (not listed below) are already sold out.
Due to an agreement with our range neighbors related to deer season, in November and December live-fire training will be limited to private, mid-day weekday sessions. We will also offer some non-shooting group classes on weekends.
For those seeking their Texas License to Carry, our recommended option is to take an online course and do the range completion with us. Under DPS guidelines, completion requires a 1 hour (minimum) classroom block of training and the shooting test. The shooting test is not part of the 1 hour instruction. We are now offering 2 hour LTC Completion weekend courses priced lower than our private weekday completion sessions.
The LTC completion sessions also make excellent refresher courses for those that already have LTC but have not practiced or taken other training since getting the LTC. They are scheduled on days that other courses appropriate for LTC level students are offered, such as our shotgun, carbine and Skill Builder classes, to encourage those attending to use the LTC completion classes as a low cost handgun tuneup session.
- August 7, 4p-7p, Correcting Common Shooting Errors (San Antonio)
- August 8, 4p-7p, Red Dot Pistol Essentials (short version) (San Antonio)
- August 16, 8a-12p, Basic Pistol 2
- August 22, 8a-12p, Defensive Pistol Skills 1 (3 slots open)
- August 29, 9a-11a, LTC Online Completion
- August 29, 11a-1p, Skill Builder
- Sept 5, 8a-11a, Basic Pistol 1
- Sept 5, 12p-2p, LTC Online Completion
- Sept 5, 2p-5p, Defensive Shotgun Essentials
- Sept 12, 9a-1p, Basic Pistol 2
- Sept 12, 2p-6p, Defensive Pistol Skills 1
- Sept 13, 9a-11a, LTC Online Completion
- Sept 13, 12-6p, Defensive Long Gun (Rifle/Carbine)
- Sept 19, Active Shooter
- Sept 19, 6p-9p, Low Light Shooting 1
- Sept 20, 1p-5p, Handgun Beyond Basics
- October 10, 9a-1p, Handgun Beyond Basics
- October 10, 2p-6p, Defensive Pistol Skills 2
- October 11, 9a-1p, Basic Pistol 2
- October 11, 2p-6p, Defensive Pistol Skills 1
- October 16, Force on Force instructor
- October 17, 8a-noon, Defensive Pistol Skills 2
- October 18, 12-6p, AT-5 Tactics Laboratory
- Oct 24, Defensive Pistol Skills 3
- October 24, 6p-9p, Low Light Shooting 2
UPCOMING CLASSROOM-ONLY COURSES
These indoor classes are still open for registration at the time of this writing, but there aren’t many slots available. Register soon to reserve a spot.
- August 1, Cut and Stuff (Knife/Medical Combo) (2 slots left)
- August 2, Dynamic First Aid (2 slots left)
- August 8, 1p-5p, Personal Tactics Skills + Pepper Spray Essentials
- August 15, 2p-5p, Home Defense Tactics (3 slots left)
- August 16, 1p-3p, Stop the Bleed
- August 29, 2p-4p, Reloading Clinic
- Sept 20, 9a-11a, Stop the Bleed
- Sept 26-27, MAG-20 classroom (Ayoob)
- October 25, 9a-8p, Tactics-Based Land Navigation
- Dec 12, 2020, Unthinkable (Dr. William Aprill)
- Dec 13, 2020, Unthinkable (Dr. William Aprill)
As you can see from the class list above, one of you still has a chance to train with Lone Star Medics and Tactician Concepts August 1, learning knife and medical skills in Cut and Stuff. Massad Ayoob’s MAG-20 Classroom also has spots available. We’ve also added a Tactics-Based Land Navigation 8-hour class on October 25, and two options to attend Dr. William Aprill’s cornerstone class, Unthinkable, December 12 and 13. These are opportunities you don’t want to miss, so register now and secure your seat in these classes.
AUGUST VIRTUAL PREPAREDNESS CONFERENCE
Paul Martin and I are putting together a virtual preparedness conference, which will offer low cost, short videos on a variety of preparedness topics from us and guest experts. We will announce more about this mid-August when the videos are available to download and stream. We still have over 14 hours of material from the 2018 preparedness conference online for low cost download or streaming. The trailer for that video series is here.
JULY BLOG POSTS
If you don’t subscribe to this blog or follow us on Facebook, you may have missed these articles we posted in July:
- Austin Crime Stats and upcoming tactics courses
- Texas Bar Online Course on Firearms Law 2020
- Book Review: The Red Dot Club (Robert Rangel, 2014)
Keep up with the interesting articles, links, and stories we share in real time. Follow KR Training on Facebook or Twitter. Subscribe to this newsletter or follow this blog (right) for more frequent posts and information. Send me an email to schedule your private weekday training session.
Instructor Doug Greig attended and passed the SIG Pistol Mounted Optics Instructor course, held at the SIG Academy in New Hampshire, this month. He joins Karl and Sean Hoffman as SIG-certified trainers in red dot pistol shooting.
SONG OF THE MONTH
Most of the places I used to perform music each week are either closed or operating at reduced capacity with no live music, but Luigi’s Patio Ristorante in College Station continues to have live music every day they are open. Those of you in the B/CS area are encouraged to support them (dine-in and takeout), and everyone is encouraged to support all the family-owned local restaurants near you as they struggle to stay open.
I have started live streaming my Luigi Tuesday performances via my personal Facebook page. Here’s a sample from a live stream a few weeks ago.
We look forward to training you!
Karl, Penny and the KR Training team